Monday 28 April 2014

Fat Chow

During my recent trip to Bali, I insisted that we, Mum, Dad and I, try the new Asian-Fusion restaurant located at the beach end of Poppies Lane 2 in Kuta. I heard about it via a couple of Bali gurus and being the foodie I am, I just had to give it a go. It has only been open for about 4 or 5 months but has already earnt itself a good reputation.

The restaurant is easy to find. We caught a taxi to the Beachwalk shopping mall, down the laneway and the restaurant was just around the first bend. It wasn't busy at all despite its high rating on TripAdvisor. The decor is quite industrial but very comfortable, with a couple of large tables, benches with some beautiful cushions, exposed brick wall and funky lights.

The menu is quite extensive, with soups, salads and your typical Asian dishes. All were well priced between $3 and $13, the most expensive being a tasting plate. We decided to order entrees and mains to share and were glad we did. The dishes were perfect for sharing and we got to have a taste of everything. My goodness, the food was all so delicious. For entrees we ordered:

Pork on Fire

And Tokyo Prawns

Both were delicious, with the pork being the favourite. The meat was nice and tender with a beautiful peppery flavour.

Our mains were:

Pork Ribs

Chicken Satay

And Pad Thai. The pork was once again the favourite. I've tried a few rib dishes around Bali and this one has topped them. The meat just fell right off the bone, it was so tender and the sauce was just delicious. The roast potatoes were the perfect accompaniment. I easily could have eaten another serve of them. The Pad Thai had beautiful flavours too but the rice noodles were a little gluggy while the satay, also with great flavours, had a beautiful spiciness in the sauce. I like my satay hot!

The serves were on the small nice (but big on flavour!) which meant we for once had plenty of room for dessert although I'm sure we know I would have orderd it anyway. Mum and I got:

Green Tea Creme Brulee

And Grilled Banana. The Creme Brulee, although yummy, didn't have much of a green tea flavour which is good in my opinion; green tea for dessert? No thanks. The Grilled Banana, which was grilled with icing sugar, was amazing. I couldn't get enough of it. Such a simple dessert with such great flavour. What I wouldn't do to have some right now!

Our meal, including 4 drinks, came to about $55. Not bad if you ask me!! The staff were so friendly, the service was great and the restaurant was nice and clean with a fantastic atmosphere. Fat Chow has earnt a spot as one of my favourite restaurants. I recommend giving it a go:)

Address: Jalan Poppies 2, number 7C

Phone: +62 361 753516

Email: fatchowbali@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment